14 months of meticulous work – that’s how long it took the Ferrari Classiche Department to restore the engine, bodywork, suspensions and running gear of a 250 GT SWB Berlinetta Competizione to pristine condition.
The car arrived in Maranello in March 2014 and work began in the summer of the same year, only finishing last week when it was returned to its delighted owner.
Famous names. According to the few documents available, the 250 GT SWB Berlinetta Competizione’s first owner was Dorino Serafini, a GT and Formula 1 driver who also delivered a podium position in the 1950 Italian Grand Prix for the Scuderia Ferrari. However, he rarely used this particular car, except in fairly low profile races. In 1964, the 250 GT SWB was purchased by Frenchman René Richard. Unfortunately, he crashed it and then sold it on to the Belgian driver Lucien Bianchi who was a brilliant mechanic. After it was repaired, the car was given a dark blue livery with a black interior. A short time later, Bianchi sold it on to another driver with a solid career in both GT and Formula 1 racing, Jacques Pollet, and its livery was changed once again, this time to grey.
The final modifications. In 1984, the car went to auction and was purchased by a Belgian collector. In 1992, he had it painted yellow as an homage to the colour used by Belgian cars in the early years of motor racing. It was still yellow when it arrived at the Classiche Department in Maranello but was clothed in a completely new livery when it emerged fully restored. Its current owner, a collector with an abiding passion for Ferraris, chose a Pininfarina grey similar to the colour sported by many Prancing Horse cars in the late 1960s. He also opted for a brown interior.